Sunday 11 November 2007

Improvement 2 - Kitchen

Ohhh for those of you who know me (which should be anyone reading this blog) Will understand how important the kitchen is to me and my life. This has been a hard room to try and create based on the fact that the current configuration in the studio is somewhat 'functional' not practical nor is it aesthetically pleasing.
The actual space for the kitchen can be considered as being very generous. I have several ideas that I need to try and plan and organise. Most useful I think will be an L shape creation, using basic free standing furniture on the 'free' wall. I would ideally like to cut an alcove into the bathroom so as a standup fridge/freezer could be accommodated without taking up too much valuable storage space for all the pots and pans and equipment I own. A trip to IKEA on Saturday was rather fruitful for ideas - including how to cover the hot water service (boiler) in the corner of the kitchen. The window is great and has a great view of the garden. I just have to find the right combination for this space. Here are a couple of suggestions:
The room is very light at the moment - so i need to try and keep that lightness to continue. I was originally going to make it a nice deep red colour but i think it will make the space look too small. There are several possibilities for the space - the price will be a big influence, I know but also practicality is important and storage storage storage. If I keep the kitchen to one side of the room - it will allow for a wall table to be erected and maybe a storage cupboard which will be used for the vacuum and ironing board - it's all in the thinking in a studio room.
I have also thought that I would like to take the wall down and open up the kitchen with a U shaped kitchen having a full bench where the wall used to be. If I don't take the wall away completely, I'd like to put in a sash window that will function to as to be able to open the space up or close it off if needed. Functionality of space is what I am after. If I do the window feature, I want it mirrored on the other side of the corridoor going into the studio room. That will, however, lead to less wall space for storage in the studio room.


No comments: