Tuesday 13 November 2007

Mortgage Madness

I am going through a mortgage broker, as you will know, for buying the apartment (studio) in London. I filled in all the forms and my broker was quietly confident that I would be successful with the loan application. I received an email on Tuesday to say that I was unsuccessful stating that I had a low credit rating in the UK. That is to say, that I have not had enough debt nor credit cards for example, for them to show up on the system to tell them whether I am a good or bad risk.
Finally, Tony, my broker rang the bank and found out that the decision was based on the fact that I had an overseas address in the last 3 years of my 'address history'. However, after an hour or so and sadness in my heart and a tummy of despair, I received another email from Tony to say that I have been granted the mortgage even a little bit more to cover my new flooring, kitchen and a possible deposit for a summer house, garden office or lean to conservatory.
So the end point is that I have a mortgage in principle and it will all be a real one when I have signed the document and provided my proof of living in London. This is going to prove a little challenge in itself as I have bank statements and payslips at the address, however, I don't have any utilities in my name at the address because it's Ezio's house and not mine. This was another reason that it was difficult for the bank as I have rented rooms and not the house whilst being in London. They have become particularly strict to avoid fraud. Anyhow, I will keep you updated. Cheerio.

No comments: